Barnes Primary & Rusuzumiro
Established in 2009, we work together to foster strong cultural links, share good practice between our schools and improve educational standards
The partnership was set up to:
Since 2009, Barnes Primary has raised over £60,000 to fund capacity-building projects at G.S. Rusuzumiro School in Rwanda.
This has been achieved through events such as the annual ‘Run 4 Rusuzumiro’, sponsored bike rides, Africa-inspired art exhibitions, Christmas Carol and Harvest Festival services, the famous Barnes Bake-Off spectacular, children’s art/toy sales, movie nights and some generous one-off donations – a real testament to the incredible community spirit at Barnes Primary School, both within Barnes and across borders.
Brand new books from Book Aid International
A few highlights…
The Lawn Tennis Association (kindly organised by a former Barnes Primary parent!) generously donated sports kit to Rusuzumiro and two other local schools.
In 2017/2018 Barnes Primary funded Rusuzumiro School’s first dedicated library and paid for transport to deliver over 500 books donated by Book Aid International. In November 2020, further funds were donated to build two new bookcases. Internation
Rusuzumiro School joined Barnes Primarys’ Newsnuggets Club taking the news club international and winning the People’s Choice Award at the BrightFuture Awards at City Hall in Dec 2016 www.newsnuggets.co.uk
After an eight month break due to the coronavirus pandemic, Rusuzumiro School started a new academic year in November 2020.
As times are challenging for everyone this year, Barnes Primary are focusing on three smaller projects to support their partner school.
Total project cost for 2020/2021 – £935
- 2 book shelves (including delivery) – £160 (work in progress)
- 1 colour printer (inc. delivery) – £475.
- Teaching resources – approx £300
SmartClassroom project cost: Approx. £17,000
Following an impressive year of fund raising in 2018/2019, construction started on 3 September 2019 to build two ICT classrooms at Rusuzumiro School. Not to be out done in this partnership, a number of very industrious (and strong!) Rusuzumiro parents excavated the ground! Six months and unprecdented heavy rain later (!) two new ICT classrooms were completed just as the pandemic stopped school in March 2020.
Of the 32 builders on site in October 2019, 31 either had children or siblings at Rusuzumiro School. This illustrates that the benefit of this project reached far beyond two new classrooms that hundreds of students will enjoy for years to come but it also helped to improve livings standards for a number of local families.
There was no spare furniture available to put in the new Smartclassrooms so a further £2,500 was raised to make 20 computer tables and 100 chairs in June/ July 2020 (50 students per classroom).
The final stage of this project is the delivery of 100 computers from the Rwandan Education Board (REB) which has been delayed due to the pandemic but is now expected in early 2021.
Fence & Gate Project – cost £11,500 – ON HOLD due to the pandemic
The final project in the BIG 10th Anniversary Project challenge is The Fence and Gate Project. This will ensure that school resources everyone has worked so hard to provide will be kept safe.
Glasses Project – formerly loved adult/child glasses donated by Barnes Primary were delivered to Rusuzumiro in July 2019. Finding an optomertrist is proving more difficult than expected but we shall keep trying and in the interim, hope that the government’s eye testing programme will reach Rusuzumiro School soon!
Thank you for all your support – it really does make a difference to over 1,400 students at Rusuzumiro School, their teachers and their families.
Together, we really can Make A Difference!
(below) Construction of ICT classrooms at Rusuzumiro – Sept 2019)
- July 2020 – 347 heath insurance cards for the year July 2020 – June 2021. A £3 health card gives a person annual access to the national healthcare system.
- March 2020 – The Smart Classroom Project comprising two dedicated new ICT classrooms.
Completed July 2019
- 360 health insurance cards for low income families for the year July 2019 – June 2020.
- 360 school uniforms for low income families.
Completed July 2018
- 360 health insurance cards for low income families for the year July 2018 -June 2019.
- Installation of three lightning conductors
Completed March 2018
- 360 uniforms for children from low income families
Completed November 2017
- Dedicated library and transportation of Book Aid International books from Kigali to Rusuzumiro School.
Completed April – July 2017
- Eight new toilets
- Washroom block with sick bay, toilets and shower.
Completed April 2014
- Connection of electricty from the main street to the classrooms
- The schools first photocopier!
In addition, teachers have enjoyed professional development workshops and students at both schools to strengthen the school partnership such as English and Newsnuggets Clubs, Art Exhibitions, Rwandan Dance workshops, and a number of collaborative projects. New teaching resources, as well as well-loved children’s shoes, clothes, toys and books have been donated over the ye
Thank you Barnes Primary School for your continued support of our school – we appreciate this wonderful school partnership!
(below) – Barnes Primary School parent, Cate Summers, enjoys finding a new home for each pair of shoes donated by friends from Barnes Primary – June 2019.
Barnes & Rusuzumiro School Partnership in Numbers
- 2,500 school lunches
- 1 school library with four bookcases
- 1 washroom building for girls with sick bay and toilets
- 1 retaining wall
- 8 new toilets
- connection to mains electricity supply to light school classrooms
- delivery of 450 new books from Book Aid International from Kigali
- Over a 1,000 health insurance cards
- 3 lightening rods
- 14 in-classroom library corners with books
- 860 school uniforms
- 200 items of sports kit from National Tennis Association
- 300 sharpeners
- 300 erasers
- 243 lunch plates
- 1,200 pencils
- 10 footballs and some bouncy balls
- 1 sewage pump system
- teacher training resouces
- dedicated library classroom
- 1 mobile science lab
- 1 photocopier
- printer toner cartridges
- 2 laptops
- 2 iPads
- repointing brick walls in classrooms
- numeracy, science & literacy resources
- 1 projector and screen
- 4 mobile phones
- 2 new ICT “Smart” Classrooms
- 100 chairs and tables for SmartClassroom
- 2 library book cases
Be part of our life-changing projects and Make a Difference today
UK registered charity number: 1127976